In the world of interior design, trends come and go. One popular trend that has stuck around for a long time, however, is using a farmhouse sink in the kitchen. Also referred to as apron sinks, these classic sinks are much larger than standard kitchen sinks. They also have a distinctive style that can add flair to any kitchen.
Having said all of that, the farmhouse sink trend isn’t necessarily right for everyone. Before you install one of these sinks in your own home, it is important to understand the advantages and disadvantages that they offer. That way, you can make an informed decision as to whether or not it is the right choice for you.
The Benefits Of Farmhouse Sinks
A lot of people swear by farmhouse sinks, largely because they provide a number of advantages that other sinks simply can’t offer. Here are some of their primary benefits:
– Apron sinks are usually much larger and deeper than other sink styles. That gives you a lot more room to work. Whether you are scrubbing large pots and pans, draining pasta, washing vegetables, or performing countless other tasks, you don’t have to worry about splashing water everywhere like you would with a smaller sink
– These sinks provide a distinctive look that can add character to your kitchen. Unlike traditional sinks, which can be a little bit boring, farmhouse sinks really stand out, making them an important design element in any kitchen space. The apron front of the sink is flush with the cabinets, meaning that it can easily be seen from the side. By choosing a sink material that complements the rest of your decor, one of these sinks can help transform your kitchen into a beautiful space.
– Farmhouse sinks are available in a variety of different materials. Along with porcelain and stainless steel, you can also find them in copper, fire clay, enamel, natural stone, and cast iron as well as many other materials. This makes it easy to find a sink style that will fit with the overall design of your kitchen.
– Typically, apron sinks are mounted underneath the countertop. That means that you can easily wipe crumbs from the counter directly into the sink without having to slide them over a crack or lip.
– Many people find washing dishes in a farmhouse sink to be easier. The edge of the sink is flush with the edge of the countertops. That means that you don’t need to lean forward as far to wash dishes, which can help keep you from straining your lower back.
The Drawbacks Of Farmhouse Sinks
– Because of the way farmhouse sinks are designed, the front of the sink extends down into the area where there are traditionally cabinets. That means that the cabinets need to be custom designed to fit around the sink. That makes it hard to add a farmhouse sink to an existing kitchen without undertaking a major renovation.
– Another reason why apron sinks are challenging to install is that they are usually mounted under the countertop. If you want to add one of these sinks to your kitchen, you usually will need to replace your entire countertop along with it, which can be an expensive project.
– If you ever want to switch back to a traditional sink in the future, it may be difficult and expensive because of the way the sinks are mounted.
All in all, there are a lot of things to love about the farmhouse sink trend. As long as you are aware of the advantages and disadvantages of these sinks, you should be able to easily decide whether or not to install one in your own home.